There is some serious solar momentum in New York State. More than 100 state legislators have signed on to co-sponsor strong new solar policy. Governor Cuomo called for more solar in his ‘State of the State’ address. And thousands of New Yorkers have already spoken up in support of the New York Solar Jobs Act. But naysayers are doing all they can to derail that progress. We need your help keeping it on track!
What does a solar leader look like?
To become a real leader in the growing solar industry, New York’s policymakers must make a long-term solar commitment that shows the world that the Empire State is open for solar business. The bi-partisan Solar Jobs Act would do just that by developing gigawatts-worth of New York solar power over the next decade.
This is what a solar leader looks like.
- Powering 500,000 New York homes with clean, reliable, local electricity
- Creating thousands of new, well paying New York jobs in the solar employment sector, which grew ten times faster than the general economy nationwide last year
- Delivering $3.3 billion in savings for New Yorker ratepayers by reducing the need to fire up our dirtiest and most expensive fossil power plants
- Driving billions of dollars of private investment in the state’s growing clean energy economy
- Protecting our communities by reducing harmful emissions of mercury and smog-causing pollution. Over 65 percent of New Yorkers currently live in counties where air pollution endangers lives.
- Reducing climate change causing emissions equivalent to taking 2,697,326 cars off the road
There’s no question that New York has what it takes to be a real solar powerhouse. And yet in just the first two months of 2012, our neighbors in New Jersey installed more solar than New York has in its entire history. That’s right, even Snooki – with her *ahem* UNIQUE grasp of the issues – has NY beat. Enough is enough. It’s time to bring solar’s economic and environmental benefits to the Empire State.
Our coalition will be headed to Albany tomorrow to talk with legislators about New York’s solar promise. While we take to the halls of the Capitol, we need you to help flood their inboxes with even more solar support! If you live in New York State, send a quick email to your state representatives asking them to pass the New York Solar Jobs Act once and for all! Don’t live in New York State yourself? We bet you know someone who does! Make today your “Reach Out and Touch a New Yorker Day” and send this call to action their way.