Equitable Access to Electric Vehicles in Colorado
Recently, the Colorado Public Utilities Commission (PUC) met to recommend an equitable and inclusive electric transportation plan in Xcel territory.
Along with our local partners GreenLatinos, Colorado Latino Forum and GRID Alternatives, we successfully moved the Colorado PUC to adopt a number of our environmental justice provisions into Xcel’s Transportation Electrification Plan.
But we couldn’t have done it without your overwhelming support. Thank you to the hundreds of Vote Solar members who used their voice to help secure this victory.
Here are just a few environmental justice initiatives the PUC included in their Order released on Monday:
- Electric vehicle rebates for income-qualified customers, largely with the parameters we proposed.
- Expanded income-qualified eligibility criteria for anyone wanting to install electric charging at their home.
- Plans for identifying higher-emissions communities, along with other equity-focused provisions.
- Equity-focused budget including:
- 15% minimum funding floor of total transportation electrification plan budget and annual minimum of 5%
- 30% of the Research, Innovation, and Partnerships budget
- 15% of advisory services budget
- Income-qualified customers will be able to use any leftover portion of the electric vehicle charging rebates for wiring upgrades.
We’re making serious progress in Colorado.
Thanks again for your support. This is proof that together, we can usher in the clean energy transition.