Vote Solar is proud to announce the voting period to choose the winner for the Dr. Espanola Jackson Energy Justice Award is now open.
Vote Solar is proud to honor outstanding energy justice heroes with the Dr. Espanola Jackson Energy Justice Award (formerly the Solar Justice Award). The award celebrates the legacy of a tireless community and environmental justice leader, Dr. Espanola Jackson, by recognizing leaders of color who are:
- Long-time leaders in their communities (10+ years), may be located anywhere in the U.S. or territories
- Dedicated to improving health and well-being in their community through clean energy
- Strong coalition builders– able to mobilize support both within and around their community
- Working at the intersection of racial justice & clean energy access
- Working both to stop the extractive polluting energy economy and bring health, jobs, and savings to their community via clean energy opportunities
- Influencing the state or local energy policy agenda through direct grassroots advocacy
These award recipients serve as a model of environmental justice leadership and inspire us all to work toward a just clean energy transition. In giving this award, Vote Solar aims to honor the critically important role of community-based activism by people of color in driving environmental progress and to increase visibility for the remarkable work of individual leaders.
The awardee will:
- Be featured in a short film to highlight their story, work, and accomplishments;
- Receive $10,000 to the individual awardee or a 501c3 of their choice
- Have the option to receive up to 5 hours of support from Vote Solar’s philanthropy team to build their fundraising capacity and connections
Learn more about the life and legacy of Dr. Espanola Jackson:
- The San Francisco community remembers Dr. Jackson
- Celebrating the charismatic life of Dr. Jackson
- Watch: How Dr. Jackson became a solar ambassador for low-income families, working with GRID Alternatives to go solar at home in 2009.